Setting up the Homestead part 3

(If you haven’t at least glanced at Homesteading Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, you’re gonna be pretty lost right from the get go.)

At LAST we had the electrical snafu figured out and the black plug of pain and anger was going BYE BYE. We could finally put down the glue and lay the floor in our storage room!

Mrgillis figured we might as well pull the plug, cord and all, out of the house and fill the whole at the same time… you know, to be all thorough and such.

ITS TIME! We can FINALLY lay the glue out and ….oh you have to got to be fu……

sam_0675

Yeah…. ok…..
So that little house symbol with a little temperature gauge thingy next to it? That stands for, “Area must be at least 50 Degrees F”.

I could literally kick something. When we headed to the homestead this morning it was, and I am not kidding anyone, 37F outside. And we haven’t been heating the shed because we’ve have this thing called a budget.

Okay. It’s time to reassess the situation. Again.

Mrgillis busted ass to get the future plant nursery done and I even got in on the action by helping him calk it and also removing the old floor tiles. Now, when we ARE able to put flooring down, we can get two rooms done.

 

Mrgillis also looked to me and asked me to take the trim boards of the windows we were planning on removing and boarding up – The picture below is a testament to why I am not to be trusted around glass with pry bars and hammers. I honestly can’t even tell you which one I broke the window with.

sam_0684

I no sooner got the board off and was getting ready to move on the the next one and CRASH I went thru this crappy little pane of stupidity. MrGillis said “no biggie, it was coming out anyway” and cleaned up my mess- because that’s the kind of husband he is.

Can you tell I’m kinda down on the window?  We’ve taken out a couple already and then this one happened.

Yeah, he had to take a saw to it to take apart the frame because it was UNDER the siding on the outside of the house. Thankfully, he still managed to get it boarded up before we left that night. We just have to throw some insulation in there and get another sheet of chipboard up and wallah! Time to paint, again.

I also managed to get not only the first coat on the nursery…..

But I was able to get a second solid coat on – ceiling and all!

We did some other odd jobs, and I did a little bit of picture taking on the property. The beavers came out around twilight… Pictures are on www.facebook.com/gillisgardens

So, over the week, we’ve had the oil tank drained and checked out. Turns out the gauge was missing off the top all summer and fall, so some rain water had gotten in. As luck would have it, it turned out to be a good thing we didn’t run the furnace, or that could have put a good hurt on it. In total we drained 8 very watery gallons of fuel from the barrel. Then we had 75 gallons of fuel delivered and put in a product called Arotec which is a water dispersal chemical.
This all adds up to a shed that is 50 Degrees this coming weekend- perfect for FINALLY PUTTING DOWN SOME FLOORS.

If not we’ll reassess the situation… again.

Until that time, have a wicked good day.

 

Advertisements

One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s